Why You Should Consider Having Your Child Sign a Power of Attorney Before They Leave for College


Going to college is one of the most exciting times in your child's life, as they are embarking upon the newfound freedoms and experiences that the world has to offer. For parents, this may be a time filled with nervousness, uncertainty and the harsh reality of letting go and relinquishing control.

The reality is that children going away to college are often 18 years old or older and are considered adults. In most cases, legally, parents are no longer entitled to make decisions on behalf of their child.

In the case of an emergency while children are away at school, parents may face difficulties such as accessing their child's student and/or medical records or making medical decisions.

Having the proper legal documents in place before your child leaves for college will help avoid these issues.

Power of Attorney for Health Care
A Power of Attorney for Health Care allows an individual to designate someone as their agent in the event they are unable to make or communicate decisions about their health care.

Power of Attorney for Property
The Power of Attorney for Property document allows an individual to name an agent that will make financial and property decisions on their behalf when/if they are unable to do so.

HIPAA Release
This document allows your child's loved ones to receive medical information about them.

Aronberg Goldgehn’s estate planning attorneys can help start the conversation and get the documents that are needed for your family.

*This article was co-authored by 2021 summer associate Natassia Tan Najman.

225 W. Washington St.Suite 2800Chicago, Illinois 60606

301 S. County Farm RoadSuite AWheaton, Illinois 60187