Karen Mills concentrates her practice on estate planning, trust and estate administration, probate litigation, special needs planning, asset protection, and guardianships for minors and disabled adults. Her practice also involves advising clients with respect to taxation, business and asset protection, and long-term care planning.
In addition to her legal practice, Karen serves as a Certified Guardian ad Litem/Child’s Representative in DuPage County, and is a DuPage County Certified Arbitrator.
Karen is resident in the firm’s Wheaton office.
Karen joined Aronberg Goldgehn in 2021, and was in private practice for seven years before that. Before her legal career, Karen spent nearly 20 years at JPMorgan Chase and BMO Harris Private Bank with experience in trusts, estates, guardianships and wealth management.
In 2021 and 2022, Karen was recognized as a Rising Star by Ilinois Super Lawyers.
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- “Wait...I am not Dead Yet and I Need My Money!” DuPage County Bar Association, March 2021
- “What is an Estate Plan and Why do You Need One?” Edward Jones, Illinois Financial Advisor, February 2021
- Mental Health Issues...What is a Guardian to Do? DuPage County Health Department, January 2021
- Moderator, “Judicial Webinar: Your Professional Reputation and Civility,” DuPage County Bar Association, July 2020
- “Effective Leadership,” DuPage County Bar Association, July 2020
- “Investments and Transfers: Legal and Prudent,” National Business Institute Illinois CLE, “Accounting & Tax Crash Course for Trusts and Estates,” June 2020
Karen is active in the DuPage County Bar Association, serving as a mentor in the Lawyer-to-Lawyer Mentorship Program and in 2022, she was installed as the association's Second Vice President. She previously served on the Board of Directors, as well as Chair of its Estate Planning & Probate Section and Chair of Continuing Legal Education. Also, during the 2022-2023 school year, Karen will act as at 1L Mentor at NIU Law School.
Karen is a faculty member of the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education where she is a frequent speaker on estate planning topics.
In 2020, 2017 and 2016 Karen served as an Evaluator for the High School Mock Trial Invitational presented by the Illinois State Bar Association.
Karen serves on the Board of Directors (Executive Committee Member) of Northwestern Medicine and Co-Chair of the Philanthropic Advisory Council for NWM Central DuPage and Delnor Hospitals.
She also is a Multidisciplinary Team Member for the DuPage County Adult Protective Services Abuse and Neglect Program.
Northern Illinois University, J.D., cum laude, 2012
Aurora University, BA., Business Administration, magna cum laude, 2007
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS
- United States Supreme Court
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Second Vice President, 2022
- Third Vice President, 2021
- Board of Directors, 2018-2022
- Planning Committee, 2019-Present
- Chair, Continuing Legal Education, 2019-2020
- Vice-Chair, Continuing Legal Education, 2018-2019
- Chair, Estate Planning & Probate Section, 2017-2018
- Vice-Chair, Estate Planning & Probate Section, 2016-2017
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, International
- Rising Star, Illinois Super Lawyers (2021-2022)
- Mentor Program, NIU COLLEGE OF LAW (2022-2023)