David Johnson is a general business attorney who represents growing companies and medical practices throughout Illinois and Wisconsin in all stages of operation, including in unique and complex transactions. He advises clients from formation to financing, to growth acquisitions and, in some instances, to the final sale of the company.
He also provides counsel on employment matters and represents clients in the negotiation of employment agreements, employment handbooks, compliance with collective bargaining agreements and employment termination.
From solo medical practitioners and small medical practice groups to technology companies and industrial manufacturers, David is often serving as clients’ outside general counsel, advising them in a manner that mitigates risk and supports growth. He also provides guidance when troubled situations arise. He is experienced in representing both individual owners and companies in disputes that arise between owners, and can help find a solution to troubled situations while protecting the enterprise and its value.
- Represented physicians in partnership disputes and in the sale of interest in a surgery center.
- Represented buyer of a 365,000 square foot factory.
- Represented industrial manufacturer in an exempt private equity offering raising capital for the company’s growth and expansion.
- Represented a beverage company in an exempt private equity offering raising capital for the company’s growth and expansion.
- Represented a propane distributor in a series of growth acquisitions.
- Represented the purchaser of a surgery center.
- Advised clients in disputes with labor unions arising under collective bargaining agreements.
- Represented software companies in the sale of their businesses.
- Represented physicians and practice groups in the negotiation of employment agreements.
David joined Aronberg Goldgehn as an associate in February 2017. Previously he was an associate with Piccione, Keeley & Associates, LTD., where he represented individuals and companies in general corporate transactions, mergers and acquisitions, real estate transactions, estate planning and commercial litigation.
In 2017 and 2018 has was named a Rising Star by Illinois Super Lawyers, a designation awarded to no more than 2.5 percent of Illinois attorneys 40 years old or younger or in practice for 10 years or less.
SPEECHES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Speaker, The Law Project's “Starting and Running a Home Based Small Business" workshop co-sponsored by the IIT Stuart School of Business Knapp Entrepreneurship Center and the Women’s Business Development Center, May 2017.
- Speaker, "Corporate Structures" at a Pro Bono Law Evening co-hosted by The Chicago Inventors Organization and IIT Chicago Kent College of Law Patent Hub, April 2017.
- Speaker, “Business Liability & Insurance” and “Corporate Structures” at The Law Project’s “Starting and Running a Home Based Business” workshop, May 2016.
- Associate Editor, “Overview of Lender Liability Under Environmental Laws,” Chapter 11 in “Environmental Issues in Business Transactions,” published by the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association, 2011.
- Co-Author, “United States v. Apex Oil Co., Inc.: The State of the Law Regarding Discharge of Environmental Injunctions,” in the ABA’s Business Law Section’s Environmental and Energy Business Law Reporter, Spring 2010.
- Member of the White Sox Charities Young Professionals Council
- Village of East Hazel Crest, Village Trustee (May 2003-Feb. 2007)
- East Hazel Crest Library District, Trustee (Aug. 2003-April 2005); Treasurer (Aug. 2003-April 2005)
- Volunteer Firefighter with the East Hazel Crest Volunteer Fire Department (Jan. 2003 – Aug. 2006)
- East Hazel Crest Fire Department Association, President (May 2003-April 2005)
- Member of the Illinois State Bar Association's Business Advice and Financial Planning Section Council (July 2015-present); Co-Editor of the Section's Newsletter, The Counselor.
- Former Co-Chair/Legislative Liaison of the Environmental Law Committee, Chicago Bar Association's Young Lawyers Division (2010-2011).
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D., 2009
University of Illinois, Chicago, B.A., Economics, 2005
BAR AND COURT ADMISSIONS
- Illinois, 2009
- Wisconsin, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar), 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2011
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Named a Rising Star in Business and Corporate Law by Illinois Super Lawyers (2017-2018)
- Recipient of the David C. Hilliard Award for Outstanding Committee Service from the Young Lawyers Section of the Chicago Bar Association (2010-2011)
- CALI Award for Excellence for the Future Award in Bankruptcy
- American Bankruptcy Institute Medal of Excellence
PERSONALIn his free time, David enjoys attending White Sox and Blackhawks games, golfing, making noise on his guitar, and spending time with his family.
What is your favorite thing about being a lawyer? I went to law school because I wanted to help real people with their problems. A family business may be someone’s most valuable asset and the sole source of their livelihood, and in my practice I have the opportunity to help solve the stresses a business owner faces, to help those businesses compete and remain an employer in their community, and help ensure that those business owners can sleep at night.
What is the best vacation you’ve ever been on? My honeymoon to Charleston, South Carolina, and Savannah, Georgia.
What is your favorite restaurant? Aurelio’s Pizza in Homewood, Illinois